Thursday, November 23, 2017

Resources and Side Hustles to Share

Hello friends! I've been thinking of how to show gratitude this Thanksgiving for the things I have. Over the past few years, I've developed a knack for researching and finding my resources. Family and friends are always in awe of my random side hustles. And I've never been very open about them. I guess I liked my secrets. Or sometimes I felt silly about them and was afraid people would judge me for finding money and freebies in weird places. I realize it's selfish to keep these things secret though. Some of my greatest blessings came into my life through a friend's facebook post or word-of-mouth recommendation. And there's no shame in needing or wanting extra money outside of your full-time job. None at all.

So it is time to share them, and shout my blessings from the rooftops. I will be completely open and honest, some of these things give me an incentive for referring people. That is not my main reason for doing this, but it is a cool bonus! I won't deny it. 😉 I will be transparent about it though. If you want to think I am just doing this for referral money, then I'm going to quote Taylor Swift and tell you to call it what you want to.

1.) CCRES

I have worked for this company for 5.5 years. I moved to Philadelphia for grad school, jobless, with not much money saved up. After a couple unsuccessful job interviews, I got hired by CCRES/the CCIU. Best job I've ever had. Working with children and teenagers with developmental disorders has forever changed my life. The pay is top notch in the field. For most positions, you are hired as an independent contractor, you cannot work over 40 hours in a week, and there are no benefits. If you have insurance through something else, if you enjoy working with kids or in a school setting, and if you live in the Chester/Montgomery/Delaware/Lancaster county area of Pennsylvania, they probably have a great paying job for you! Some positions are non-degreed (you do not need a 4 year degree).

Check it out here: CCRES Employment 

If you apply, feel free to drop my name, or don't. I do get money when a referral is successfully hired.

2.) Field Agent app

I don't remember how I happened upon this one. You can make decent pocket change with apps nowadays, if you weren't aware. I have tried just about all of them. Really really. I've probably tried 20. This one is the best! Sign up, and you will see a list of local jobs and 'audits'. Most of them require you to do something like this: walk into Walmart, find the frozen bread section, take 1 picture, and answer 3 questions about products in the section. Earn $4. It is simple. It takes 5 minutes. It's not too shady. I end up going there 3 times a week anyway to pick up random groceries I forgot. So why not walk down an aisle, snap a pic, and earn a couple bucks while I'm there?

But that isn't the best part! They also offer you the chance to try products. I've purchased meals from McDonalds, Little Caesar's, Burger King and other fast food places, tried out the food, and given my opinion. I get reimbursed + $5. Sometimes they ask you if you're interested in trying out a household product. You get the item shipped to you for free. All you have to do is write a review, post it online, and you get to keep the item. I've been sent a $60 double sided waffle maker that rocks my world, a $40 toaster, a $100 foodsaver vacuum sealer, and most recently a $600 heavy duty 15 piece Calphalon set of cookware. For free. One time I did an audit that asked me to check out all the Halloween candy options and purchase a bag up to $20. They wanted to know what designs and candy appeals to people the most. Free humongous bag of candy + $5. That was one of my favorites.

They also do a monthly contest to win up to $500 a month. I've never won and probably never will. But it exists.

This app is awesome, end of story.

3.) VIPkid

This job has been an incredible opportunity for me! I teach English to cute Chinese kids online each morning for a couple hours. I make $10 per 25 minute class + incentives. I work from the comfort of my own home! VIPkid is always hiring. The curriculum is provided. Great training. Great community. Just show up with a few props, be energetic, and cheer these kids on as you teach. You do need a 4 year degree (does not have to be in teaching) and some kind of documented experience working with kids. The interview/application process was incredibly difficult for me. They are a young company and always trying to improve though. If you're interested, I can give you lots of details and help you through the process! The kids make everything worth it. So far I've taught over 150 classes, 86 different children, and only had 2 difficult classes with behavioral issues. You can make your own schedule. Work as little or as much as you want. Did I mention you'll be working at home?? Best part time job for people in the education field. It has been especially helpful for me on the days I have off from my TSS job, and I am looking forward to it in the summer time when my TSS hours decrease.


Here is a screenshot of one of my regular kiddos. Before class starts, he writes hello on the slide and writes me little notes or draws pictures on a paper and holds it up for me to see. It might be oh dark pre-buttcrack of dawn thirty, but man do I feel loved!

Use this link or my referral code if you want! And please do contact me with all the questions you have! 

Check out VIPkid  Here is my code: 03CWLE

4.) Givling

This company restores my faith in humanity! It is a trivia game app. When you play and watch an ad, the money earned from the ad goes to paying off average people's student loans. You get 2 free plays per day, but you can also buy coins for $.50 a pop to play more if you want. The coin money also funds "the queue" of student loans. Forbes can explain it better than I can:

 Givling: An Online Game App That Lets You 'Play Off' Student Loan Debt

So far, players have paid $615,000 and paid off 9 loans. They also do daily cash prizes for the highest scoring 3-player trivia team. I suck at trivia but I was on a good team once and won $30. The more they earn, the bigger the cash prize the following day. It takes 5 minutes to play, and if nothing else, you are helping someone else pay off a loan.

If you need a Givling code to join, here is mine: SE744237. We each get a free coin to play when you use it.

Sometimes I think a lot of people don't understand Givling, think it's a scam, or just assume they won't get anything out of it. The more people who play, the more money will go to paying off loans. Right now Givling pays off approximately one loan a month. Their goal is to pay off multiple loans per day.

The selfless nature of this company is a breath of fresh air in a polluted world.

5.) Poshmark

I downloaded Poshmark a couple years ago. I wanted to try to sell some of my clothes that were good brands and good condition, but I didn't wear anymore. I think Plato's Closet is the worst and I wasn't interested in consignment shops. So I gave Posh a go. Here I am 2 years later, and I've sold 79 items and made over $500. It is easy to list your items. If sold, they email you a shipping label, you ship it, and once the item is received by the buyer, you get your money. Direct deposit or check. Posh keeps 20%. Some people think this is steep, but I think it's fair.

I also really love Posh as a buyer. You can find great items at excellent prices. I found my favorite pair of Ugg boots on Posh. Originally $275, I got them for $50. They have men's clothes, kids clothes, jewelry and makeup too.

If you're ambitious and want to create your own mini business, once you become experienced and pass some certifications, you can buy new wholesale items and start your own Posh boutique.

My referral code is: SMEYLER. We both get $5 credit to our accounts when you sign up. You can spend that on whatever your heart desires that you find on Posh.

If you're not interested in donating or consigning clothes at this point in your life, Posh is a good way to go. If you have no desire to sell and just like to find good deals, Posh is for you. You can find everything on there. 

6.) dscout

Dscout is a really cool app. It's like doing a paid opinion study or being part of a focus group through an app. You apply to available studies, or as they call them 'missions'. Applications take 2-3 minutes, and usually require you to record a 1 minute video of yourself talking about the topic of the study. You don't always get selected. Since June, I've gotten picked for 7-8 missions. The payment ranges, but is excellent! I'm doing one right now that will pay me $175. I did one a few weeks ago that took me 5 minutes and required 1 video to talk about how I use my Fitbit. $30. It's crazy the money people will pay you for your opinions on their products.

7.) Chick Fil A cow calendar

This one won't make you a millionaire, but it might just brighten your day. Did you know Chick Fil A sells ridiculously gaudy cow calendars each year? Buy one for $7, and you get a card for the year that has a free menu item each month. If you download the app on your phone, you also get more free stuff, and you can order it before you get there and go pick it up when you want. Super convenient. And there's no limit to the freebies. One time I had 2 free cookies, 2 free sodas, and a fruit cup and I used them all.


Well, I've shared all the wealth that I can think of at the moment. Go forth friends. Eat your free food, earn your extra money, an do whatever you need to do with it. I really truly hope this reaches someone and gives them help in their hour of need.




No comments:

Post a Comment