Thursday, December 25, 2014

Christmas Card 2014

Hello friends and family!

I thought this year I would write a blog post Christmas letter to any and all who wish to read it. It’s been a year of ups and downs and loop-de-loops for Chase and I. A lot is to be experienced when you’re in that ‘young, poor and newly-wedded’ stage, and boy did we experience a lot! I am grateful everyday that I chose Chase to be the one to have by my side for eternity. We have learned, grown together, and been richly blessed.

Together we survived a brutally cold winter in a drafty little apartment with heat that didn’t work. (Thanks to space heaters, electric blankets, thick down comforters, and cuddling, we made it.) We survived our pipes freezing on 2 or 3 occasions, mice, you name it. I could write a book about that place, but I’ll refrain. In February-March, I dealt with some health issues and experienced my first 2 trips to the ER and first trip to the OR, complete with an overnight stay. Despite previous anxiety at the thought of hospitals, I was a big girl and felt nothing but exhaustion, typical post-surgery soreness, and comfort that Chase never left my side. It feels really good to have a person. Within a few weeks I was healed, it was spring, and the warmth worked wonders to lift our spirits!

For fun, we went for many a walk and/or run around the park in Downingtown, longboarded (I still make Chase hold onto my belt loop when I do it), hiked Hawk Mountain and Wissahickon park, explored downtown Philadelphia, and window-shopped at KOP. One time, I shot an AR-15. 



Holy cannoli. Over the summer we joined my parents for their annual vacation to Delaware, (which was a bit of light in a pretty dismal first half of the year), dealt with car troubles on Chase’s end, and searched for places to move to, despite moving seeming like a faraway dream.

Finally at the end of August we found a nice little house for rent in Gap. Although moving there would more than double the distance we drove to work and it is along an, at times, obnoxiously loud truck-filled road, it was a HUGE answer to a prayer. Many, many prayers. And so in mid-to-end of September, we said goodbye to a ghetto area of Downingtown and hello to Amish country! And we love, love, LOVE it! We now have a full basement, a garage for Chase’s car, a porch, plentiful windows and sunlight, heat that works and feels wonderful, a big attic, an Amish farm behind us with cute little cows in our backyard, and lots of room for our little family to grow. We love our new ward and feel at home there. We couldn’t ask for more.









In the fall, we realized Chase’s little white Mustang was sucking us dry and would continue to do so, and so we upgraded to a 2010 Mustang GT and drove off into the sunset with no regrets. Chase had a glint in his eye like a kid on Christmas morning. As Chase works at a company that deals strictly with Mustangs, there are many perks to having one. So although we considered other alternatives for our next vehicle, that is what we decided on. I paid off my little hairdryer of a Civic hybrid over the summer, and had plans to sell it next spring and enjoy a year of no car payments. But alas, she started not doing so well and I was worried she wouldn’t get me through the winter. So on Thanksgiving break from work, I was blessed to find a most excellent deal on a like-new Dodge Dart. I have never in my life wanted one of those and just stumbled across it, but I love it a lot!

I continue to love my job! I have excellent coworkers who I can call my friends, the kiddos are the best, and I work a stone’s throw away from Chase. Chase is excelling at American Muscle. After being there for only a year, he has received several raises and learned many different areas of the shop, including how to paint! Which is pretty cool. He’s still interested in a career in private security or the police but is in no rush, just waiting to see what his current company has to offer. I’m still weighing my options for more schooling. Perhaps attending Millersville to get my school psych cert, perhaps going an entirely different route with my career and going back for any one of the following: music therapy, art therapy, special education administration positions, the circus (haha) etc. Clearly, I am undecided, but have faith that with some effort it will all work out in time.

We’ve enjoyed this holiday season and the time we get to spend with family and friends. What seemed like a difficult year for us has turned into a wonderful one. In 2015, we hope to see more of all of you, get in shape and lose the ‘marriage freshman 15’ we’ve both gained in the past year and a half (Chase blames my cooking), work hard to pay off some of our debts (wooo student loans), and continue to enjoy life and being together, no matter what comes our way!

Merry Christmas! 
 
“For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord.” –Luke 2:11 

Enjoy some pictures of our holiday:

 
Trip to Lititz and the Wilbur Chocolate factory with my mom.



The piano my wonderful parents lovingly had delivered to our house last week. (It's always been a dream of mine to first have room for a piano, and then second to have one!)


Tyler's baptism last weekend, a happy day. =)
                                             


Our goofy selves in front of Mom and Dad's tree.


Our beautiful tree, taken one night while we were watching movies. Got it for a steal of a deal on a facebook yardsale website.




Chillin' with the Salem fuzzer on Christmas Eve. Note my sweet leggings given to me by a sweet coworker!


Mom knitted all of us caps, ear warmers, scarves, and fingerless gloves this year. She is very talented! 


My first try at apple pie made from scratch for Christmas dinner at the Eylers!


And just because it's Thursday, a throwback to my very first Christmas. Dad the Joseph, Dave the Shepherd, me the "Jesus-ette", Missy the Mary, and Scott the Wiseman.

No comments:

Post a Comment